Excess protection can be purchased as an additional policy to your fleet insurance. This would cover you for the loss of excess in the event of a fault claim.
Ordinarily, in the event that a claim is settled non- fault the third party insurers will always reimburse you the level of excess paid once liability is established in your favour. However, if liability is settled as fault you wouldn’t receive your excess back.
The policy has different levels of cover depending on the amount of vehicles that you operate:
- £1,000.00 in any one policy period – up to 5 vehicles
- £3,000.00 in any one policy period – up to 10 vehicles
- £5,000.00 in any one policy period – up to 15 vehicles
- £7,500.00 in any one policy period – up to 20 vehicles
- £10,000.00 in any one policy period – up to 30 vehicles
During the policy year you can claim back the excess as many times as necessary as long as the amount claimed back doesn’t exceed the above limits.
What is covered
- The insurer will pay you an amount equal to the excess in relation to each settled claim on your motor fleet insurance policy up to annual aggregate limit in respect of claims arising from a motor fleet insurance claim only. This motor fleet excess insurance policy covers up to 30 motor vehicles only.
- You are also covered where you have been unsuccessful in recovering the excess cost from a liable third party within six months of making a valid claim against them under your motor fleet insurance policy.
Once you have made claims which total the annual aggregate limit no further payments will be made under this policy and this motor fleet excess insurance policy will lapse. You will then be liable for all and any future excess payments as defined in your motor fleet insurance policy. Please refer to your certificate of insurance to check the annual aggregate limit you have chosen.
What is not covered
- Claims from excess that do not arise from a Motor fleet insurance policy.
- Any claims that arise from your motor fleet insurance policy within 31days of the commencement date of your motor fleet excess insurance policy, which is stated in your certificate of insurance.
- Claims where the excess is waived or reimbursed or not exceeded.
- Claims which took place outside the period of insurance of this motor fleet excess insurance policy.
- Claims where the incident took place outside the United Kingdom unless the vehicle is being used for personal use at the time of the incident.
- Claims notified to us more than 31 days following the settlement of a claim under your motor fleet insurance policy.
- Claims refused by your motor fleet insurance policy.
- Any contribution or deduction from the settlement of your claim against your motor fleet insurance policy other than the stated policy excess for which you have been made liable.
- Claims where the number of vehicles under the motor fleet policy is higher than 30.
- Claims arising from breakdown, misfuelling, windscreen repair or replacement or any glass repair or replacement to your motor vehicle.
- Claims arising from or involving recovery vehicles, couriers and taxis.
- Any losses caused by war, revolution or any similar event.
- Any losses caused by:
- ionising radiation or radioactive contamination from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste
- which results from burning nuclear fuel; or
- radioactive, toxic, explosive or other dangerous properties of any nuclear machinery or any part of it.
For further information please refer to this PDF attachment.